Welcome to episode 6 of Trail Running Ireland. The show is hosted by Eoin Flynn, UTMB Finish Line Race Announcer and 10 times Irish International Mountain Runner.
First up, Eoin is joined by race director of the Waterville Trail Running Festival Simon Kelly, who brings us the latest trail and mountain running race news from home and abroad, including, lots of exciting REAL races to look forward to!!
(16m45s) Our expert trail running coach Rene Borg talks to us about the importance of working with a coach, choosing the rights training plan for you and no matter what level you are it or how high a mountain might be, the importance of speed in our training.
Rene can be contacted at http://www.runningcoach.ie
(38m15s) For our feature interview, we speak with Fred Verdier, Head of Tourism in Wicklow County Council and founder of EcoTrail Wicklow.
Fred talks to us about:
- Where his passion for Trail running came from
- Tips and advice for those starting off on the trails
- How a world class trail running event came to Wicklow
- The importance of buy in from the local community to hold a successful race as well as having a good team behind you.
- The financial risks involved in organizing a big trail race and why EcoTrail is so important for Wicklow from an international tourism point of view.
A big thank you to our show sponsor, EcoTrail Wicklow, taking place on Sept 26th 2020.
Finally, a special thanks to Basic Needs with Trail runner Shane O´Mahony from Cork on drums, for our very cool soundtrack.
Get your running gear on, let´s go!